July 26, 2009

Christian Sophists, Part 2

July 10, 2009
Hey Don:

I gotta say, I'm not crazy about your most recent article. Calling all Christians sophists is like calling all Jews and Muslims sophists: it isn't true. Not all faithful people are propaganda-mongering ignoramuses. I know many Christians, Jews, and Muslims who are educated and know that the Bible/Torrah/Quran were victims of the classic "after a story is passed enough times, it begins to change" syndrome. I can tell by much of your writings that you have an atheistic slant, which is fine. But such a line of thought must not be mangled with ignorance; I beg you.

Thanks for your time; hope to hear from you soon.

Sincerely, Scott

* * * * *

July 11, 2009
Scott --

I didn't call all Christians sophists. As I began the article: "Delusion. It is the lifeblood of you Christian apologists, you sophists." So I'm attacking Christian apologists, not Christians in general. In what follows, I think I do an adequate job defining Christian apologists as those who think their faith can be proven by rational argumentation. So that's my target: not all Christians, just a certain type. In the last paragraph, I contrast these apologists to "the saints of yesteryear" who were chracterized by faith and humility.

So, in other words, what I'm doing here is attacking intellectual arrogance. I'm taking a position (fideism) that Soren Kierkegaard and other great men of faith have held...

In any case, thanks for your email. I hope I've convinced you.

Don Emmerich

No comments: