November 10, 2009

Peacenik Ramblings

Sometimes writing this blog feels like mental masturbation.

You know what I mean. I study hard, I write the best, most persuasive antiwar articles I can—and yet the wars continue. When you get down to it, nothing I say, nothing you say, seems to make any difference.

Mental masturbation, I tell you—mental masturbation!

Not that I plan on stopping.

First of all, I’ve always been a big fan of masturbation—mental and otherwise.

Secondly, who the hell knows, maybe we can actually make a difference. Little by little, one seed planted here, another one there.

I’m not sure where it comes from, but I’ve always been somewhat of an optimist. Perhaps this is just what Ernest Becker would call my “denial of death.” By forcing myself to believe that change is possible, that the future will be better than the past, I’m able to go on living, to endure what I fear is an ultimately purposeless and meaningless existence.

Whatever the case, I can’t help but hope.

I can’t help but believe that, by writing this blog, by reading your blogs, by educating myself, by living the best life I know how, I’m helping to make this world a better place. And even if I’m not, at least I know that I’m trying.

And with that I’d like to end this rambling little inspirational speech.

Good night, and good luck.

9 comments:

nina said...

lol.
What a great rambling post! I have to say that I feel the same way sometime. Not the masturbation part, but must-stay-positive part :)
Always glad to know that we're not the only one.
G'nite and g'luck to you too.

Don Emmerich Jr. said...

Thanks for your comments, Nina. You're definitely not alone. And I hope you get back to blogging soon -- October 31 since your last post -- that's too long! :-)

Anonymous said...

You are not alone!
Even the Palestinian in the Middle East want peace even though the media doesn't show it!!
A Palestinian kid created this flash game which the media in Palestine ignores because he wants peace and has a hope for a better future...
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/512173
We need to do the media's work and publish it around the world to bring hope and create a better future for tomorrow in a peaceful world!

Don Emmerich Jr. said...

Thank you for your comments.

Yes, I know that most Palestinians want peace. Look at all the brave people in Ni'lin.

What a wonderful game. So sad that it hasn't received attention from the media. You're right -- we can't depend on them. If we want peace, we need to make it happen ourselves!

Hope to talk to you again!

Young Activist said...

The important thing is to create a movement that will temper the actions of the government. It's a slow and frustrating process, but things are changing, albeit slowly. Just compare the wars today, as atrocious as they are, to the Vietnam war, American actions in the World Wars, Korea, etc. In our own small way we are part of that movement, part of that backlash against crimes against humanity, a movement of millions of people making their own small contributions.

Don Emmerich Jr. said...

Young Activist: Good points. As bad as our current governments might be, I feel that, in some ways at least, people have generally become more aware and more humane. As Chomsky points out, people in the 1960s only began protesting Vietnam when large numbers of Americans started dying. By contrasting, there were massive protests against the Iraq War before the US even invaded. I definitely think that's progress.

john said...

keep on with your mental masturbation. your goodness will infect other people, whether they like it or not. as far as your "otherwise" masturbation, don't point it at me!

:O)

Don Emmerich Jr. said...

Ha! -- fair enough, John! :-)

David Z said...

"maybe we can actually make a difference. Little by little, one seed planted here, another one there."

That's what keeps me going, when nothing else does.