December 4, 2009

Feeling a Little Betrayed, Are You?

An open letter to my liberal friends.

Ten months into his presidency and you’re finally starting to get it: He’s not one of us. Barack Obama is not one of us. Yes, it turns out that all that Hope and Change talk was just a ploy to get us to vote for him. It turns out that there is no Hope, there is no Change, just a new sociopath in the White House.

Now I’ll be honest, he fooled me too. For a short time last year, I too supported the guy. What can I say, I was young, I was dumb, I was influenced by this Justin Raimondo column. And I really thought—I hate to admit this—but I really thought that the guy meant at least some of what he said.

Of course, it didn’t take me long to see the light. I did a little research and by early April I felt like a total douche for having given fifty bucks to his campaign. Yes, another confession—I gave $50 to Barack Obama’s campaign last year! God have mercy.

But you liberals, not all of you, but most of you—what the hell? Seriously, it took you all this time to realize that the guy’s essentially no different than George W. Bush? All this time to realize that he was just putting you on?

Of course, some of you still aren’t aboard. Some of you are still twitterpated, believing that the war in Afghanistan is humane, that, by occupying the country and propping up Karzai and his warlord buddies, we’re actually doing the people a service. Ha! And I suppose you all still believe in Santa and the Tooth Fairy, am I right?

Anyway—and I’m now addressing those of you who’ve repented of your naïveté—welcome back, it’s so good to see you again. You know, I’ve thought about you a lot over the past year, I’ve missed our all-night rants about Bush and Cheney. Man, those were good times. And now you’re back. Thank God you’re back! So have a seat, get yourself something to drink.

And please tell me you’ve learned your lesson. Please tell me you’ve grasped the moral of this story. And no, the moral is not that Barack Obama is an evil warmongering son of a bitch. Of course, that’s all true. Repeat after me, will you? It’ll make you feel better. Barack Obama. Is an evil. Warmongering. Son of a bitch. Feels good, huh?

But that’s not the moral of the story. The moral is that they’re all evil warmongering sons of bitches. The moral is that the system is corrupt, that American democracy is an irredeemable failure. So don’t go looking for another politician to rally behind. There was never a Mr. Smith and he never went to Washington. There are only evil warmongering sons of bitches.

But don’t be discouraged. I’m not saying there’s no hope. I’m not saying there won’t ever be change. I’m just saying it’s not going to come from one of them.

13 comments:

john said...

I’m not saying there’s no hope. I’m not saying there won’t ever be change. I’m just saying it’s not going to come from one of them.

amen, brother, amen. it will never get done in our lifetime. but we make a difference, even if we can't see it.

Enlightened Rogue said...

50 bucks? Ouch! Just think how many Rotbard or Spooner or Shaffer books you could have bought with that.

Lesson- Don’t put money in their hands- just bullets between their eyes (rhetorically speaking, of course :-) ).

Don Emmerich Jr. said...

Yeah, I'm still embarrassed by it. But you live and learn, right?

Noor al Haqiqa said...

The moment Oprah introduced him I had his number. Substantial from the front but like a paper man, no depth from the side. A flattened dry sponge with no matter to it. Waiting to be filled out by his superiors. How I wanted to be wrong. However, his first college job was with Henry Kissinger and then you looked at his advisors and you knew...... no one with half a brain should have been sucked in. Not that he had much competition, you all were given the worst candidates possible. But Obummer is a special case. As if being brown skinned meant he would change the military goals of his Masters! Sorry, like our Harper, he has outdone himself in the disappointment category.

Don Emmerich Jr. said...

"no one with half a brain should have been sucked in"

As one Iranian-American friend explained it to me, Americans are like little children--they just so badly want to believe that people are good, that their leaders care about them, etc., that they tend to be far too trusting.

Young Activist said...

Hope and change. It's all bullshit, but the fact that is how the PR folks had to market him is revealing of the gap between elite opinion and the average American. In many ways as a person Obama is more despicable than Bush because he cannot claim naivete. The nicest thing you can claim about Bush is that he did not know what he was doing. Obama knows full well what he is doing. He is an intellectual, a tactical thinker, and at one point (a long time ago, before he entered politics) a member of the peace movement. His political rise and accompanying moral fall are a lesson for the entire peace movement, particularly the more intellectual wing that could reap many personal benefits were they to betray the causes they have served.

Don Emmerich Jr. said...

Young Activist: Absolutely, I couldn't agree more.

LizzieLu said...

I found you by googling, "Has Obama betrayed peaceniks?" which is pretty much a "duh!" I've just crossed over to your side today. I just accepted it. Today. I'm a little bit grief stricken. (OK, I'm a LOT grief stricken)

Glad I found you.

Don Emmerich Jr. said...

LizzieLu --

It's so nice to connect with you!

I so badly wanted the guy to do the right thing. And when he was inaugurated this January, I really thought that he might do some good things. And I do think he's slightly better than George W. Bush. Slightly better, but not enough to really matter.

Thanks for you comments. Keep in touch.

Anonymous said...

It is extremely interesting for me to read the blog. Thanx for it. I like such themes and everything that is connected to them. I definitely want to read a bit more soon.

Don Emmerich said...

Well I certainly hope you read more! I pour my heart on this blog and I'm glad to hear that someone's getting something from it. Hope to hear from you soon.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Don Emmerich said...

Well thanks so much for your encouraging words!