December 2, 2009

Post-Speech Depression

After listening to Obama’s speech, I’m thoroughly depressed. I’ve spent the night drinking Manischewitz (only about half a glass, but that’s a lot for me), and reading Virginia Woolf’s Mrs. Dalloway. Neither has really cheered me up.

Yes, I’m depressed. So much so that I can’t find the energy to write an article explaining why I think this surge is both immoral and stupid. So, in lieu of a new article by yours truly, let me refer you to the following:

Obama’s War Speech: An Unconvincing Flop by Justin Raimondo

Top Ten things that Could Derail Obama’s Afghanistan Plan by Juan Cole

Obama’s surge: has the president been misled by the Iraq analogy? by Juan Cole

Building at home and abroad by Stephen M. Walt

A troop surge can only magnify the crime against Afghanistan by Malalai Joya

And, finally, a recent speech by Congressman Ron Paul (R-TX) (h/t Skeptical Eye):

2 comments:

Karin said...

Yes Don, I agree - I feel the same! A day before he helyd his speech, I posted the letter Michael Moore had written to the president and I can only tell you, I was delighted but of course neither his letter nor my posting it did anything - after all, who am I to say it is DEAD WRONG to send more troups?? I am only a tiny inkilng ... a nobody in the face of this mighty, congress-remote-controlled military machine!
Dn't get me wrong - I really like and highly appreciate him but this time he blew it. Inevitably he'll find out it was a mistake ... it won't take long. Moore is right - one phone call to Gorbi will set things straight and shed light on the blunder ... it's a shame!

Don Emmerich Jr. said...

Yeah, I've lost all hope in Obama.

I honestly thought he might do something for the Palestinians, but he's done absolutely nothing. He politely asked Netanyahu to stop building settlements, and when Netanyahu responded by essentially giving him the bird, Obama immediately backed-down.

Obama's a wimp, a coward, a pawn, a warmonger, a murderer. John McCain might as well have been elected. Things would be exactly the same.