October 25, 2010

Why I Don't Vote

When I was younger I bought into all the establishment's BS about voting. I believed my vote mattered. I believed I was part of something big, one citizen among many deciding the course the country would take. Would we go left, or would we go right? Would we go with bigger government, or would we go with smaller government? It seemed so significant, it seemed like it mattered.

Oh to be young. To be stupid.

As the years went by, my view of elections started to change. I realized that I wasn't deciding between two fundamentally different candidates. I realized that liberal politicians weren't actually liberal and that conservative politicians weren't conservative.

But I continued voting. For I still believed I was doing something important. For I was voting for the Lesser of Two Evils. Yes, that's why I continued going to the polls -- to vote for the Lesser of Two Evils.

It was kind of like being asked to pick a disease: you have your choice between leukemia and brain cancer. Nobody, of course, wants leukemia, but at least you can treat leukemia. You get brain cancer and you're fucking toast. So I continued voting, picking leukemia over brain cancer.

Well I've come to learn that there's really no such thing as a Lesser Evil. With Bush and the Republicans, we got bigger government, bigger deficits, and mass-murder overseas. With Obama and the Democrats, we're getting exactly the same.

They're two sides of the same coin. Or, as Bill Hicks put it, they're two puppets, one on the left hand, one on the right hand. Two puppets with the same puppet master.

And the problem isn't the two-party system. If only we can get the Libertarian Party off the ground, some of my libertarian friends think, then we can shake things up, restore liberty, blah, blah, blah.

But the problem is not Democrats and Republicans. The problem is not that we have a bunch of creeps in Washington. Those Congressmen and Senators are no different than you or me. They're people, people who probably went into politics for all the right reasons -- to shake things up, restore liberty, blah, blah, blah.

But they became corrupted for the same reason that all of us would become equally corrupted. Because humans are so easily corruptible. We have good intentions, we have so much good in our hearts. But as the Apostle Paul told us, we also have evil in our hearts. Put any of us -- Christian, atheist, city boy, farm boy -- in power, and we'd all eventually sell out.

Because humanity is what it is, because we're such selfish, easily corruptible beings, the American system doesn't work. The Constitution doesn't work. Replace everyone in Washington with "decent folks" like you and me. Shrink the size of the federal government to what it was 200 years ag. Start completely over, and we'd eventually find ourselves in this exact same predicament.

The answer then is not to reform this failed, evil system. The answer is to abolish it. Decentralize, get rid of the Constitution, at the very least return to the Articles of Confederation.

And this is why I don't vote. Because voting just grants legitimacy to the slave masters and their wicked system. By voting, we give them the right to claim that they're just doing our will. Representative democracy and all that bullshit.

It's time to stop playing their game. It's time to do all we can to undermine their tyranny and fight for liberty.

4 comments:

Minnesota Chris said...

Hear hear! I last voted in 2000 for the late great Harry Browne, and will never vote again.

Your comparision of voting to choosing which terrible disease you want reminds me of a conversation with an older friend, who, when I told him I don't vote, asked me what I would do if Jesus himself commanded me to vote. I told him I would know I was following the wrong religion! I turned it around and asked if Stalin and Hitler were his only two choices, who would he vote for. Unbelievably, he said Hitler because he killed less people! I was stunned, but perhaps I shouldn't have been.

kaysings said...

Thanks for your blog post. Yours is one of the best arguments I ever heard for not voting. I quit voting several years ago and I've never regretted it.

Another excellent reason, IMO, for not voting is the rebuttal to that favorite old saw that pro-voting activists have been using for at least a couple of decades, "Every vote counts." And that is that one vote among millions or tens of millions is reduced to statistical irrelevance. Matter of fact, I've read evidence that in certain parts of the country, every vote is literally not counted. Worse, electronic voting machines can and have been hacked by biased operators to manipulate numbers.

My decision to stop voting came when I finally realized that for three consecutive elections, no candidate or measure I voted for won. That's when it dawned on me that no elected official accurately represents me. So when I got my sample ballot for the next election, I slipped it into a 9X12 envelope with a note asking that the county registrar remove my name from voter rolls until further notice. Yup, I mailed it back. Haven't gotten one since.

Let the brainwashed masses continue to support this corrupt system. I want no part of it anymore.

Don Emmerich said...

Chris -- Harry Browne!

So sad that he's no longer with us.

Don Emmerich said...

kaysings --

Good for you! Thanks for sharing your story.